First time here? Please, start at the beginning.

Saturday, August 21

Let's get this thing started!

Alright! Here we go!

So, over the course of the next days/weeks/months, I'll be posting tutorials on the Java programming language here. For now the goal is the teach you everything you need to know to re-create uChat, a small network chat program I made over the course of a few days between classes.

Before I start on the tutorials, a bit more about uChat:
Source: 210 lines (current version, very few comments), 6.06Kb
Compiled: 7.17Kb in 2 class files
Packaged into JAR: 4.43Kb
UI: simple GUI
Network protocol: simple custom messages via UDP broadcast, no server needed!
Build method: quick and dirty MS batch file, because i'm too lazy to type 3 commands

MediaFire folder includes the source code, build script, and JAR.
Download the JAR and run it to see the program in action. Can't do much if you're on one computer, try it on a network with family/friends.
The source code's pretty cryptic, there's a lot going on in those 210 lines and not many comments explaining things.
Drop the build script in a folder with the source and click it to make the JAR. (Assuming you've got the JDK installed properly.)

If the link doesn't work, someone let me know in the comments and I'll see about fixing it.

That's all for now. Next time I'll go over what you should already have/know.

EDIT: I've added the source for uChat and my build script as a separate page. Don't worry about the MediaFire link.

No comments:

Post a Comment